Tuesday, October 9, 2012

A Chance at Something Never Meant to Be?

Are You There God? Because I Am Trapped.

You will not believe what happened! Well, I guess You will believe it. I mean, You're... You. But nevertheless, I must retell the whole event to You. See, the way I view prayers, they're almost like a way to talk to a friend. Because that's what I view You as, God. A best friend whom I can tell anything to. And You understand. At least, I can pretend that You understand. I never really am assured about really anything with You, God. I never seem to hear anything back from You, God. But I just keep believing that You're there. At least it's better than pinching my eyes closed at night when I lie in bed, hoping someone, anyone, hears my radiating thoughts. So I'm going to keep writing. And hope that You really are there.
Dad still hasn't given me back my lyrics. In fact, I don't know where they even are. I hope they aren't gone for good. Oh, I do more than hope, God. I'm telling You about them, isn't that praying? But the night he took them away, after talking to You, I wrote something else on a spare piece of paper from my math binder. It was the start of a new song:

I guess I found out you love me
Some time ago
The decision was made
But it wasn't by choice
And the consequences come out
When you looked down and smiled

Do you regret it?
Do you wish you didn't have to?
'Cause your love doesn't seem
As real as I would've liked
Loved

After that I had to stop, because my dad came in to say goodnight, and apologize for losing his temper. Before he made it to my desk, though, to keep up his assumption that I was working the last problems of that math homework he had explained, I quickly stashed the sheet of notebook paper somehow in my math binder.
Apparently, the next day at school, it had fallen out. Because today, my English teacher stopped me in the hall, and pulled me into her room while the other students were filing to their Connections periods. She told me that she had found that sheet of music in the hall, and had just happened to realize it had come from me, the last one tripping into History. She didn't tell me, and instead had read it. Then, today, while the other students were either involuntarily sweating in Physical Ed or getting educated on abstinence in Health, I got to spend two whole periods singing my heart out to Mrs. Mary. She's the only teacher that insists we call her by her first name, so I guess that's the first hint that she's something different. Also, she's quite a bit younger than most of the other teachers. When at first she asked me if I'd be willing to sing some of it for her, I panicked. But she gently and slowly coaxed the notes out of me. I sang the whole that had came to me lying in bed the night before, and she actually listened. She seemed genuinely interested! She gave me little bits and pieces of note changes and pitch advice. Turns out she had a minor in musical theater when she was in college. The second bell rang suddenly and startled us, so we quickly recorded what we had so far, and she said that she would speak to me tomorrow.
Lord, do You get why I'm so happy? Can You believe this? It seems so surreal! I feel like I finally have a chance out of that pipe that I'm wedged so tightly in. I actually have a little bit of breathing room right now.

I'm Trapped.

1 comment:

  1. It's good when another person will really listen, isn't it?

    You commented on a poem at my blog and I've only just read this first post of yours. But I did want to give you a word of encouragement. I pray to God and know that he hears me because he has given me promises. In my baptism he promised to be my God and to forgive my sins. What I love the best, though, is when someone else tells me that. Have you heard these promises given to you? I hope so, but if not, I'd be willing to do it. Leave another note if so.

    ReplyDelete

Congratulations. You read what you have been afraid to admit, and now you have finally decided to acknowledge that fact. If you are trying to put me down, I know that you're just afraid. If you are complimenting me, what hinders you from doing this yourself? If you are speaking your mind to add to what I have to say, thank you. If you are, and you are anonymous, afraid to be known, I challenge you to say what you fiercely think without fear, forcing it into the world.